Forum Message

Using Solar on a Network

We are using solar on one machine connected to a network.

I would like to be able to log in using my laptop rather than disturbing the person who works at the machine that Solar is on. The files are saved on a networked server, but I have the program on my laptop too. Is this possible?

Posted by Neil Millward on Feb 4, 2015 1:10 PM GMT

Hi Neil,

If you are using Windows computers and a Windows shared network drive then yes, each computer can take turns editing the file. However, you will not be able to have two users accessing the same data file at the same time.

We hope to release an online version of Solar Accounts soon which would allow you to access your business data simultaneously - see this page for a preview of the online version:
https://www.solaraccounts.co.uk/alpha.php

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Feb 4, 2015 3:32 PM GMT

Thanks, that is what I thought, however...
When I try to load the file from the network server I get the following
"Unable to write to disk. Please check the drive is not full or read only.....etc

Any suggestions?

Posted by Neil Millward on Feb 6, 2015 9:26 AM GMT

Hi Neil,

That is odd - please run Solar Accounts and press Ctrl + F9. You should see a message saying that a diagnostic file called 'Solar Accounts Log File.zip' was created in your Documents folder. Please email me that file - it will help us better understand the problem.

As a workaround, you can move the file from the network drive to the Documents folder on your local machine, then edit the file in Solar Accounts, then close Solar Accounts and move the file back to the network drive.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Feb 7, 2015 11:23 AM GMT