Forum Message

account heading

Hi Mark, Could you suggest a heading (purchases) single method of bunching the following motoring expenses I have every year, Road Tax, Insurance, Fuel (no vat claimed), other motoring expenses like tyres/punctures under.

Also another purchase heading for stuff I spend out of my own pocket in cash, i.e. small items of stationery, and anything bought for cash that does not go on a company debit card.

I generally have about 6 columns of different expenses, i.e. postal stamps and advertising is another

Posted by Johnhern on Jan 10, 2016 7:50 AM GMT

Hi Johnhern,

I think the best approach would be to change the name of the existing "Motor Expenses" account to "Other Motor Expenses". Then click menu File > New > Account Group and create a 'Motor Expenses' expense account group. Then create the other expense accounts you mention with the Group Under field set to 'Motor Expenses'.

The expense categories should represent the 'reason' for the payment (like stationery, postage, etc) instead of the method of payment (cash vs debit card). Solar Accounts comes with a default group account called 'General Administrative Expenses' which can group these expenses. When you record the payment, set the Paid From Account to 'Visa' (or 'Mastercard') and the Allocate to Account to the appropriate expense account.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Jan 11, 2016 11:02 AM GMT