Forum Message

Solar Online (again!)

Financial records are an integral part of running a business and for me the choice of software to assist with it is a medium to long term decision.
My company has grown with Solar and Mark's ready advice has always been a godsend to an engineer playing bookeeper.
I suppose I feel an element of loyalty to the product and I am looking for a reason to stick with you.
The decision to cease offering the offline product was a great diappointment and the hard line decision not to reconsider in the light of the apparently substantial support for it has dealt that 'loyalty' a blow.

In light of the above, I have been persuaded (against my better judgement) to trial some online packages so as to make the transition on our own terms and not when an OS change from MS leaves us stranded - that and the fact there seems to be no viable offline competition.

I have to say I am pleasantly surprised at the speed of response of the Solar online system as that was certainly a worry! I hope that continues!

If I'm going to be paying

Posted by Simon Willett on Apr 16, 2016 4:58 PM BST

Hi Simon,
Thanks for your query, we are pleased that you have appreciated Solar Accounts in the past and would hope that might continue; although you might be a little disappointed with the answers below. To answer your questions:

1: Our billing system only accepts payment by credit or debit card. Sorry.

2: To view your monthly subscription invoices log in to Solar Accounts and click > Main menu > File > Billing.
Invoices are generated as soon as we receive the payment.

3: The choice of software from the products available on the market is really up to each user to decide on value for money/ease of use. Many users tell us that Solar Accounts is much easier to use than Sage so we therefore believe it is good value for money.

4: We are not planning to introduce a Payroll module in the near future

5: We prefer not to disclose details of our development plans. This allows us to change direction without disappointing users.

Posted by Karyn Green (Solar Accounts) on Apr 18, 2016 7:21 AM BST

Hi Simon,

I have used Solar from the beginning and certainly would not change to Sage even if they paid me to do so.

I have used Sage at clients premises and have found them to be expensive, support hopeless, payroll software has too many features for the small business which makes it appear complicated to those not used to payroll.
Just go onto all the accounting forums and you will find that the majority of accountants are now Sage averse.

If you need payroll software try Brightpay - 60 days trial - check out their website for details. I use the bureau version and do not have any financial interest in the company!

Until HMRC tell us how the proposed Making Tax Digital is going to work my advice would be to stick with Solar in the meantime as I have found them to be the most responsive ref support issues.

Posted by MM Bookkeeping Services on Apr 21, 2016 10:35 PM BST