Forum Message

Purchase Invoices

Hi,

When entering purchase invoices with different expense accounts is it possible to add up the same categories to enter on one line or would I have to either use a calculator or enter all as shown on the invoice? The majority are COGS with some vat exempt; sometimes these visits to the wholesaler can be pages long and can include 10 different expense categories!!

Many thanks
Gill

Posted by Gill Davies on Mar 30, 2009 5:13 PM BST

Hi Gill,

Yes, if the purchase invoice items all have the same account and VAT rate it's fine to group them onto one line.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Mar 30, 2009 6:42 PM BST

Hi Mark,

Many thanks but the query I really have is - is there an inbuilt calculator? I actually do accounts for several small traders and am looking for software for them to start doing their own book-keeping so that I can just do the final accounts. Your software seems to be the easiest for me to train them on and for them to understand the basics but it has to be one that isn't too time consuming. The majority of them may be put off if they have to use a calculator and a computer!!

Once again, many thanks

Posted by Gill Davies on Mar 30, 2009 10:41 PM BST

Hi Gill,

Windows comes with an inbuilt calculator. To open it, click the Start button (bottom left on screen), then click All Programs > Accessories > Calculator. Would this meet your clients' needs?

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Mar 31, 2009 9:49 AM BST

Hi Mark,

Not really as with the Windows calculator you only see the current entry. Ideally, due to the amount of entries that would be made for each expense on the purchase invoice, they would need to see all the amounts entered to make sure they hadn't missed anything! I guess what I am looking for is traceability.

Hope you can help as although I have only been looking at this software for a couple of days I am seriously impressed!

Kind regards

Posted by Gill Davies on Mar 31, 2009 11:15 AM BST

Hi Gill,

For that level of tracability I think you will need to fill in each line on the purchase invoice. Note that you can copy and paste a line by right-clicking on it and selecting 'Copy Line' or 'Paste Line'.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Mar 31, 2009 12:45 PM BST