Forum Message

Financial Year and Budgeting

I am enjoying trying out Solar Accounts having used Quickbooks for some years now in another business.. Your system is far simpler but does have its limitations which I would expect for the price. Having said that it is still good value for money for a small business or partnership. If I may, I have the following questions:-
1. Do I have to create a new accounting period to continue from the current year into the next year? O can I just carry on with new dates as usual. Can I change any transactions in a previous accounting year once it has passed to correct mistakes?
2. There does not appear to be a facility for supplier activity and customer activity. In other words you cannot have reports on sales by customer or purchases by supplier for a given period.
3. Is there a facility for creating a budget and comparing actual against budget?

I think that will do for the moment. I am very impressed with your system.. I am a partner of a partnership comprising a small country estate. Income is from tenants mainly which, is collected by an agent. We don't therefore prepare invoices but just receive payments from tenants and make payments to suppliers and service providers. I have almost completed this tax year with ease already, which is amazing!

Regards,

Posted by John Blackwall on Apr 1, 2009 1:54 PM BST

Hi John,

Thanks for your interest in Solar Accounts - we're glad you like our product! To answer your questions:
1. No, you don't need change the financial year. The only thing this feature does is to transfer the balances of your income and expense accounts to the Retained Earnings account. You can edit transactions from a previous year and can revert the 'current' year to the previous one.

1. There's no report for customer/supplier activity. However, if you right-click on a row in the Customers (or Suppliers) list and select 'Show Related Transactions' you get something similar.

2. Sorry no, there's no budgeting feature in Solar Accounts.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Apr 1, 2009 3:15 PM BST