Forum Message

Bank Statement balance does not match with

Dear,
I would much appreciate if you could help me with my problem, I have been using Solar Accounts for 2 years after moved from Quick Books and finding it much easier and practical for my business. I am coming to the end of second year and my Cheque Account balance does not match the balance on thye Bank statement, as well as the credit card. I tried to find any mistakes in data input but could not find. What would be the easiest way to balance it?

Many thanks
Zak

Posted by Zak Zivanovic on Nov 1, 2016 10:20 AM GMT

Hi Zak,

I recommend you use the 'Bank Reconciliation' feature to reconcile the Cheque Account items with your bank statement as described here:
https://www.solaraccounts.co.uk/help/how-to-reconcile-a-bank-statement.php

You will probably find transactions which should not have been posted to the Cheque Account - you will need to delete these transactions or edit them so they don't reference the Cheque Account.

You may also find transactions which which you expect to appear on the bank statement in future (eg. cheques you have written but have not been cashed). If you have such transactions it's OK for the Cheque Account figure to not match your bank statement.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Nov 1, 2016 11:00 AM GMT

Dear MArk,

Thank you very much for the prompt reply, I have just realised that the balance valuies were not matching from 2 years agowhen they were transferred. Is there any way I could balance them now withoout going back?

Many thanks I mush appreciate your time.

Zak

Posted by Zak Zivanovic on Nov 1, 2016 4:05 PM GMT

Hi Zak,

You can limit the bank reconciliation to the current year as follows:
1. Click menu Setup > Financial Year
2. If the current financial year start date is not correct, click 'Start a new financial year' and enter the correct date
3. Go to the Accounts list and double-click on Cheque Account
4. Set the Opening Balance to match your bank statement figure as on the start of your financial year
5. Use the Bank Reconciliation window to tick transactions dated in the current financial year, and check the Bank Balance column matches your bank statement.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Nov 2, 2016 11:50 AM GMT