Forum Message

Importing bank statements

Hi, if this works properly it is probably the main feature that would convince me to upgrade to the online version.
Can you say more about this? I assume that you can use it to reconcile bank statements?
Is there a tutorial or guide?
Thanks

Posted by James Loudon on Jun 29, 2018 3:19 PM BST

Hi James,

I'm afraid we don't have a tutorial about the bank statement - sorry. The best way to find out how it works is to sign up for the free 30-day trial and perform the import task:

1. Follow this page for setting up an online account and importing your existing data:
    https://www.solaraccounts.co.uk/switch-steps.php

2. Log in and click menu File > Import From > Bank Statement [QIF or OFX] File...

3. Select the bank account then select the file

4. For each row (or group of rows) that is highlighted in green, select an appropriate transaction type at the bottom-left of the window and fill in the transaction details and click 'Next'

5. Click 'Finish' when you have entered all the transaction details

Unfortunately this import process doesn't automatically mark the transactions as 'reconciled' (it really should!) so you will then need to click menu Tools > Reconcile Bank Statement > Cheque Account > OK. Then tick the transactions you just imported. An easy way to do this in bulk is to tick the first transaction checkbox then hold down the Shift key and tick the last transaction checkbox.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Jul 2, 2018 11:03 AM BST