Forum Message

Making tax digital

Apparently From April 2019 all VAT registered businesses with turnover above the VAT threshold will be required to maintain digital records and will need to send their VAT information to HMRC using third party commercial software.
Importantly, HMRC’s online portal will no longer function for businesses registered for VAT with turnover above the VAT threshold, although it will remain available to all other businesses that complete a VAT return, but have turnover below the VAT threshold.
Have there been any progress with updating Solar Accounts to support this?

Posted by Paul Jefferies on Jul 16, 2018 5:51 PM BST

Hello Paul,

We plan to update Solar Accounts Online to meet the HMRC "Making Tax Digital for Business" requirements for VAT by April 2019. We will do this either by allowing you to submit your tax returns directly from Solar Accounts, or by creating a digital link to third party software which submits your tax return.

We do not plan to update the old offline version of Solar Accounts. If you are running this older version you will need to upgrade to the latest online version to be MTD compliant.

We may also have a 'beta test phase' for the MTD functionality before April 2019 - I'll record your email address to be notified when we make further announcements regarding MTD.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Jul 16, 2018 7:08 PM BST

Hi Mark,

Just come hear to ask much the same question! As just seen this:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vat-notice-70022-making-tax-digital-for-vat/vat-notice-70022-making-tax-digital-for-vat

You mention two ways of submitting - direct from Solar or via a linked third party
IMO this needs to be done direct from Solar.
Even if we ignore the aggravation of getting different packages reliably linked the great majority of the possible third parties are in fact your competition.
The hard fact is I am not going to pay for your software to do book keeping and then pay (for example) Xero for their software just so I can complete what Solar will not do!!

The good news being you have almost two years to get the 'digital link' up and running though I guess most of us would like to see it from the outset.

Please put me on the list to be kept informed of your progress.

Thanks

Posted by Simon Willett on Jul 18, 2018 10:27 AM BST

Hi Simon,

Thanks for your feedback - yes I can see that convenience and cost is a significant factor. At the moment we are still keeping our options open about how our users will meet the HMRC MTD requirements - I've added you to our MTD email list to be notified when we make further announcements.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Jul 18, 2018 10:56 AM BST

hi can you had me as well please agree with above needs to be from solar account

Posted by Lynden Hazlehusrt on Jul 30, 2018 9:06 PM BST

Hi

Can you also add me to your MTD Update list please? I still haven't upgraded to online Solar as I am a diehard Dropbox user but having used Solar since 2013, I don't want to change so will when I can't put it off any longer :) - Thanks

Posted by Sally-Ann Reed on Sep 3, 2018 2:33 PM BST

Hi Please could you also add me to the email list to inform me of your progress regarding MTD.
I am currently using the offline version which has worked for me for the past 5-6 years.
As soon as you can assure us that Solar online can do what is expected with regards to MTD, I will then consider upgrading.

Posted by Lynne Susan Riley on Nov 1, 2018 10:33 AM GMT