Forum Message

MTD filing

Do you have any further information regarding whether the software will allow us to submit VAT returns directly from Solar Accounts, or by creating a digital link to third party software which submits your tax return.

I feel that the software should allow this to be done to avoid any extra costs there may be by using third party software.

Posted by Russell Couch on Sep 13, 2018 10:57 AM BST

Hi Russell,

Yes I can see that it would be more convenient and cheaper to use Solar Accounts to submit VAT returns than using third-party software. However, at the moment I can't give you any more information about how HMRC will meet the MTD requirements - sorry.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Sep 13, 2018 3:56 PM BST

Hi Mark,
I really do hope that Solar will be able to file VAT returns under MTD as it would make life so much simpler for everybody and could be a deal breaker for some of my clients if they have to link software packages and pay additional costs.
As mentioned, I have been using Solar for many years and do not hesitate recommending it to my clients.
However, with MTD looming, and clients wanting to know what's needed I have (reluctantly) been forced to look at other software packages to see how they are dealing with MTD and I do have to say that none of them have the ease of use of Solar and tend to over complicate their systems trying to provide too much information and fancy graphics.
I find that my Clients are not (as a rule) book keepers or accountants and most are only usually interested in recording their income and expenses and correcting errors/make adjustments as easily as possible to run the basic reports which they require, which is what Solar provides.
I for one hope that you are able to make MTD filing possible so that everything is in one package.

Posted by Russell Couch on Sep 14, 2018 10:16 AM BST

Hi Mark

Just come on the website/forum to look for updates on MTD.

Really pleased to see that Solar is committed to being MTD compliant.

Just wanted to add my voice to the clamour (again!) - please incorporate the reporting system into Solar itself, third party bridging software won't be popular here either.

Once you've cosied up to HMRC's IT systems for MTD how about an RTI payroll extension to Solar - go on! You know you want to!! :-)

Posted by Simon willett on Oct 17, 2018 10:02 AM BST