Forum Message

Cheque Payments without Invoice

I'm having trouble getting the hang of things in solar accounts; must I make an invoice for every time I receive money from a customer? or can I go to money received and put it straight into my cheque account ? For instance I Received Two Cheques on the 27/04/09 from two different customers, I deposited these into my bank account, what would be the correct way to enter this into SA, would I be right in entering them as two separate entries in money received in the customers names, or should I make invoices ?
Regards
Colin.

Posted by Colin swan on May 1, 2009 9:49 AM BST

Hi Colin,

No you don't need to record an invoice. In the example you give, you can record two payments directly to your bank account. To do this, click menu File > New > Money Received. Enter the customer name and amount received, then change the Deposit Into Account field to 'Cheque Account'. Check the Type field is set to 'General payment', then in the From Account table enter 'Sales Income' as the account.

I hope this makes sense - let me know if you need more information.

Cheers,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on May 1, 2009 10:10 AM BST

I understand that now, but when the customer pays the balance and i deposit this into my cheque account , can I write an invoice for the total of both the deposit and balance of the customers bill ?, the more I learn the easier and better it gets,
Cheers,
Colin,

Posted by Colin Swan on May 1, 2009 12:47 PM BST

Yes in that case create an invoice for the full amount, then record an invoice payment for the cheque amount. When the customer pays the balance record another invoice payment.

Cheers,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on May 1, 2009 3:43 PM BST

so invoices can be wrote after I have loged the money in cheque account ? if so how do I match or pair the invoice with an earlier money recived ?
TY.

Posted by Colin Swan on May 2, 2009 8:53 AM BST

Hi Colin,

Sorry I'm not explaining it very well!

When you send your customer a bill you should enter an invoice in Solar Accounts. When you receive a cheque for that invoice you should record an invoice payment. In this way Solar Accounts will keep track of the customer's balance.

If your customer receives goods or services and pays for them on the same day you can record this as a direct bank deposit (ie. without recording an invoice first). In this case the customer balance will not be affected.

I hope this is a bit clearer - let me know if you need more information.

Cheers,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on May 2, 2009 11:11 AM BST

You have explained things clearly, It's Just me getting my head round the system,
Fantastic software, and after help.
Cheers
Colin.

Posted by Colin Swan on May 2, 2009 12:15 PM BST

That's good to hear! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on May 2, 2009 2:29 PM BST