Forum Message

Income and Expense accounts with same name

Mark

I have set up an Income account named ‘Waste Disposal’ and I also have an Expense account with the same name.

When I post a Customer invoice with an entry for Waste Disposal it shows me it is going the the Waste Disposal (Income) account. When I post Suppliers payments for Waste Disposal, it shows me it is going to the Waste Disposal (Expense) account. But, when I look at the Accounts, both the Income and Expense items have incorrectly been posted to the Waste Disposal (Income) account.

So it seems similar to an issue I raised earlier (where you cannot have a Customer and Supplier with the same name), it also seems you cannot have an Income and an Expense account with the same name – even though in the latter case, Solar does let you set up both accounts, whereas in the first case, it did not.

Your comments would be appreciated
Regards, Alan

Posted by Alan Rick on Jul 10, 2009 12:53 AM BST

Hi Alan,

Yes Solar Accounts doesn't handle two accounts with the same name very well. The problem is that when you enter 'Waste Disposal' into an account field it just picks one of the accounts - you can't choose which one. It would be better if it didn't allow you to create duplicate account names in the first place.

The solution is to make the account names distinct (eg. 'Waste Disposal Income' and 'Waste Disposal Expense')

Cheers,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Jul 10, 2009 8:12 AM BST