Forum Message

New invoice after VAT return has been submitted

Hi

I recently purchased Solar accounts. I have come across a problem that dont know how to solve.

I am trying to run a VAT report and in it I know I have an old invoice from the previous month it was a late invoice. EG Vat return i want to complete ended month Feb - Late invoice dated 31/01/09. Obviouly I have ran the treport for Jan and accepted the figures and that was what was reclaimed from VAT. How can I get Solar accounts to pick up invoice 31/01/09 into Feb return as this was included in reclaim for Feb. I cannot change invoice date as I know this to be unacceptable for Vat purposes.

This is something which I will come across again as Invoices can often appear late

Can you advise

Posted by Pamela McCollum on Sep 10, 2009 3:41 PM BST

Hello Pamela,

Thanks for your purchase!

When producing VAT returns, Solar Accounts is not clever enough to pick up any transactions outside the period you give it. You therefore will need to expand the VAT period in Solar Accounts to cover two VAT returns and subtract the previous return from the figures it calculates.

For example, say your VAT return is due every 3 months and you submit a return for the period January - March 2009, then later add another invoice dated in March 2009. When you come to produce your VAT return for the period April - June 2009, set the VAT period in Solar Accounts to be January - June 2009 (ie. six months). Write down the figures for Boxes 1 to 9 of this 6-month report. Then write down the figures for Boxes 1 to 9 from your previous VAT return (January-March 2009). Finally subtract the second set of figures from the first set - this gives you the figures for your April-June VAT return.

Similarly, if your VAT return is due every month, then the 'expanded' VAT report should cover two months.

I hope this makes sense - please let me know if you need more information.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Sep 11, 2009 9:01 AM BST

Just to clarify, is it ok to take the Vat return that is shown in reports, or does it alter when you enter a late invoice.

Posted by Tom Beattie on Dec 16, 2011 5:28 PM GMT

Hi Tom,

Solar Accounts only looks at the transactions within the VAT period you specify. So if you enter a late invoice which is dated before the current VAT period it will not show in the VAT Return Detail report. Therefore you cannot simply use the figures from Solar Accounts - you must manually calculate the correct figures as described in my previous comment.

Regards

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Dec 17, 2011 3:46 PM GMT

if i get a invoice come in late or have missed one i just put it in the next vat return by
entering it with the first date of the next vat period instead of the date of the invoice
and make a note on it

Posted by on Mar 16, 2012 12:14 PM GMT

I like the idea of putting the wrong date in. After you generate the return you can then go back and redate them I guess. This could foul up any end of your double-check of course.

Posted by Dafydd Owen on Aug 25, 2012 8:25 AM BST