Forum Message

Income on P&L

I have been keying invoices and payments received, which go through Paypal mostly, and also managed to key papal fees correctly, therefore I have the fees showing up in Expenses, but what I don't understand is why I have nothing showing in income.

Do I need to add an entry on another journal to get income to show up?

Posted by Kay Bolton on Sep 17, 2009 11:14 PM BST

Hi Kay,

What account have you entered on the invoice? Normally this should be 'Sales Income' so the invoice will increase your income in the Profit and Loss report. Also check that the report period covers the invoice date.

Cheers,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Sep 18, 2009 10:29 AM BST

I had created a new account called SG sales, and money was received in via PayPal account.

Posted by Kay Bolton on Sep 18, 2009 12:05 PM BST

Hi Kay,

Is the SG Sales account listed under 'Income' in the Account list?

Cheers,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Sep 18, 2009 12:21 PM BST

Got it to work now thank you, but I do have another query about loyalty points that we issue to customers and also Design Team Disounct that we also provide. How would I show these?

Posted by Kay Bolton on Sep 19, 2009 1:12 PM BST

Hi Kay,

The simplest way to treat a discount is just to reduce the sales amount when you enter it into Solar Accounts.

However, if you want to keep track of dicounts you have given, create a new Income account called 'Sales Discounts'. Then on each Invoice or Money Recevied transaction enter an extra line item. The line amount should be the value of the discount as a NEGATIVE figure, and the account should be 'Sales Discount'.

I hope this makes sense - please let me know if you need more information.

Cheers,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Sep 20, 2009 10:07 AM BST