Forum Message

Saving and backing up data

Hello,
I have started using your free 60-day trial and have a few queries.
1-Does your software automatically save to my C-drive?
If so does it automatically save data as I enter it?
2-How does backup work? I tried to backup manually and only managed to save a second copy to my c-drive. How do I save a backup to a memory stick? I have already entered a fair amount of data and I don't want to lose it!
3-Because I am part way through the year I entered opening balances from my current trial balance to save entering historical transactions. I then started entering new data. I checked a trial balance on Solar which seems to be fine but when I checked a P&L it only applied the new data. How can I include the whole year's data without painstakingly re-entering every transaction?
Or would it be easier for this first year to just print off a trial balance and write my own P&L?
Thank you for your help
Donna

Posted by Donna Starkey on Nov 17, 2009 1:02 PM GMT

Hi Donna,

To answer your questions:

1. Yes, Solar Accounts saves your data to your business data file on you computer. This is the file you select when you click 'Open existing file'. This file is automatically updated as you enter new data.

2. To back up your data, click Backup from the File menu. The 'Save a Backup File' window will appear. You need to navigate to your memory stick location before you save the file. You can normally do this by clicking on the 'My Computer' icon from the list on the left side of the window. (If you can't see this list, click 'Browse Folders' at the bottom-left).

3. You are correct, Solar Accounts will not show your opening balances in the Profit and Loss report. To show this information, change the opening balances of the income and expense accounts back to zero. Instead, record a General Transaction debiting and crediting the appropriate accounts (click 'Multiple accounts' in the General Transaction window).

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Nov 17, 2009 1:20 PM GMT