Forum Message

Switching from Quickbooks

I have used Quickbooks for years. I now use another package for invoices and quotes etc and just copy a simple invoice to QB. My year started 01/04/09. This financial year just rolled over from the last. Thing is, I just want to keep accounting simple. My accountant just requires the info to put into his own spreadsheet anyway.

This years QB (from 01/04/09) has a big problem with stock as I combined all my 100's of stock items into just one item (merged them all). My stock is all in my COGS account but because I combined all the items, the P&L COGS is all wrong and I will have to do a manual correction at the end of the year.

What this is getting around to is perhaps I can copy all my QB transactions across to Solar from 01/04/09 until now. Of course, I have made 2 x VAT returns so far. I do not do payroll but do enter the figures for me and my employee each month. Trouble is, I have been using QB for years so wonder If I can do this?

Perhaps someone else has done something simliar?

Thanks in advance

Posted by Rob Flanagan on Nov 27, 2009 5:32 PM GMT

Hi Rob,

Yes, you can enter all your transactions from 1 April 2009. However, Solar Accounts cannot directly import data from Quickbooks, so you will need to enter these transactions manually. Most users who switch from Quickbooks choose a recent 'conversion date' then continue to enter older transactions into Quickbooks and newer transactions into Solar Accounts.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Nov 28, 2009 12:04 PM GMT

Thanks Mark

I agree with what people have said. You package does look very straight forward to use. Perhaps I will input from October so I have a full 6 months or maybe all the way back to April 1st. I don’t have that many invoices anyway (perhaps 100). Will I easily be able to enter balances from when my accountant finishes my March 2009 books ?

Do you know QB stock? My COGS (and therefore P&L) is in trouble because of the QB stock averaging. I need to do a manual account transfer back to COGS or something (not sure how to approach this as my materials (stock) appears nowhere on my P&L). QB has used stock averaged of all my combined (I merged all my items, perhaps 300-400 into one item) stock so although the invoice might show the single item (CCTV install or such like) as, say, £3000, the COGS account reports it as, say, £24.99. So, according to P&L, I have made a fantastic profit as my stock cost (COGS) is so small. Not very helpful.

Thanks for the help so far. I am positive I will buy anyway.

Posted by Rob Flanagan on Nov 28, 2009 12:58 PM GMT

Hi Rob,

Yes, you can change the opening account balance at any time - just go to the Accounts list and double-click on the account you want to edit.

I'm not familiar with Quickbooks, but from your description it sounds like you will have an asset account called 'Inventory' or 'Stock' whose balance is far too large. My guess is that you will need to record a journal entry to transfer from this asset account to your 'Cost of Goods Sold' account. However, I'm not an expert and I recommend you check this with your accountant.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Nov 28, 2009 1:00 PM GMT