Forum Message

Customer payment 6 months in advance

I'm trialing your accounts program, and so far it appears to be just what I need. However, I do need to be able to do one more thing, which I have not found how to do.
Please could you let me know how I can accept a payment from a customer that exceeds the total amount of all current invoices outstanding? E.g. A customer pays for my services 6 months in advance, while the invoices are made after each time the service is provided. This should put the customers account in credit, then I use that credit to clear the latest invoice once produced.
Hope this makes sense and you'r able to help me.
Yours Faithfully,
Ed

Posted by Ed Cowen on Dec 19, 2009 1:10 PM GMT

Hi Ed,

Unfortunately there is not a simple way of recording prepayments in Solar Accounts (we aim to improve this in future). Here's what you do:

Say your customer pays £600 for services to be delivered over 6 months. Record 3 initial transactions:
1. An invoice for £600
2. A credit note for £600. This should be a 'mirror image' of the invoice using the same account and VAT treatment as the invoice in step 1. The simplest way to create this credit note is to right-click on the invoice, select 'Copy', then change the Document Type to 'Credit Note'.
3. Record an invoice payment for £600 and apply it to the invoice you created in step 1.

Then each month, create two new transactions:
4. An invoice for £100
5. Apply £100 from the credit note you created in step 2 to the invoice from step 4. To do this, right-click on the credit note and select 'Allocate Credit'. Set the Amount To Allocate to £100 and tick the invoice to be 'paid'.

I hope this makes sense - let me know if you need more information.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Dec 21, 2009 8:43 AM GMT