Forum Message

zero amounts and negative amounts

First question

I cannot record a 0.00 amount in invoices nor quotes. I sell software and will often supply demo copies on free issue.

If I could record this in some way, perhaps as a quote, I would be be able to record the interest of a prospective customer in a particular product and follow up later on.

Better still - recording this as a free issue invoice would allow the transaction to appear in customer transactions. This doesn't happen with quotes.

I have tried a work around - that is to enter a sales invoice for a nominal figure of 1.00 and immediately create a customer payment against the invoice. - double the admin and messy.

Second question

I have discovered that I could use quotes in a crude way to keep a very simple running account against a particular project. Services and goods supplied can be entered in as positve figures. Expenses can be entered as negative. The quote renders a very simple gross profit or loss on the project. The result is kept for internal use only. The problem is where initial expenses are greater than initial receipts. This results in a negative figure and the quote form won't allow this.

I realise this is not exactly standard but maybe it's one for the next version.

Posted by Bill Tromans on Jan 29, 2010 5:51 PM GMT

Hello Bill,

Thanks for your feedback - we'll note your suggestions about having invoices with zero amount and quotes with a negative amount. The problem with quotes not showing when transaction list is filtered by customer appears to be a bug - we will try to fix this in future.

Using a Quote to keep a record of transactions for a job is quite unusual - you may find it easier just to use a spreadsheet for each job.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Jan 30, 2010 11:22 AM GMT

I would also like to have the facility of being able to create an invoice with a zero value. This would be handy for allocating a 'payment in' that is received before a real invoice is issued. [I have raised this request before]

Posted by Alan Rick on Jan 31, 2010 12:55 AM GMT

Hi Alan,

Yes, this is recorded as a feature request in our system. It's not as simple as it appears though, because an invoice payment looks at the invoice to determine how much of payment is VAT. As it stands, if the invoice amount is zero then the VAT amount must be zero, which means that there can be no VAT associated with the invoice payment. We will need to change this behaviour before we can allow zero-amount invoices.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Feb 1, 2010 8:53 AM GMT