Forum Message

Using Dropbox with Solar Accounts

I've just purchased the full version of Solar having been on the trial for a while and was very impressed with it.

I use a thing called Dropbox to help sync files between computers. It struck me that this may also be useful for Solar accounts if you put the .slr file in this shared folder. I'm not hugely techy but I guess this does work similar to a networked drive.

I just wanted to check if there is likely to be any issues with this and if so what they are. I also thought I would post this just in case it was a good idea and could maybe help others :-)

Posted by Barry Hynd on Mar 9, 2010 11:17 AM GMT

Hi Barry,

Thanks for your purchase - we're glad you like the software.

The problem with Dropbox is that it is not a 'true' network drive. Instead, the Dropbox folder is located on your computer and then synchronized with the remote server. This means that if two people make changes to the file at the same time, you get a conflict. This conflict is difficult to resolve and could result in data loss.

If you store your Solar Accounts data file in a Dropbox folder, make sure the file is synchronized before opening it on a different computer.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Mar 9, 2010 5:13 PM GMT

Hi Mark,

So if people do want to use it one more than one computer, without the need for backing up to a thumb drive then ensuring you have the thumb drive available when needed - what would you suggest?

I work at home, but am just moving into an office so I'll have one mac at home, and one mac at the office. It'd be nice to be able to do some invoicing when i get a spare moment at home, and maybe even get the Mrs to create invoices at home while I'm at the office.

Do you have any ideas what we could do? I also currently use iCloud, Syncplicity and Dropbox, but am open to suggestions that might aid us in this.

We moved from Quickbooks which handled it very easily.

Kind Regards

Mark Bartley

Posted by Mark Bartley on Feb 27, 2012 1:42 PM GMT

Hi Mark,

It's fine to use Dropbox, just ensure that after you use Solar Accounts on one computer you synchronise your Dropbox folder before using the file on another computer.

If you don't want to use Dropbox or a USB memory stick then you would need to work like this: edit the file on your computer, email it to your wife who edits the file and emails it back to you.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Feb 27, 2012 2:58 PM GMT