Forum Message

Expences

I do not have a company credit card as they charge an annual fee, so all sundry items, fuel, etc. that I pay for on my credit card I claim back from the company once a month.

I list the breakdown in Excel showing the VAT, etc. My accountant was fine with this and he would copy and paste the info into a Excel program that he uses.

Q1. Can I export this data for him?

Q2. In Solar Accounts, what is is the best way to input these items. I read on a forum, to create a directors account to show any purchase and payment made. Is this is correct and can you expand a little on the correct way to do this in Solar Accounts.

Posted by Kp on Apr 13, 2010 9:53 AM BST

Can you explain more in detail on what you claim back and how you claim for it.

You car for example, is it your own? do you claim the allowable expense agains it?

Posted by Tom Beattie on Apr 13, 2010 10:28 AM BST

Hello KP,

To answer your questions:

1. From your description, it sounds like the Nominal Ledger report will provide the information your accountant wants. You can export this to an Excel spreadsheet by clicking menu File > Export To > Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet.

2. The general way to record an expense is described here:
    http://www.solaraccounts.co.uk/help/how-to-record-an-expense.php
    If you pay for the expense from your personal funds, set the Paid From Account to be either 'Directors Loan Account' (if you are the director of the company) or 'Owners Drawings and Personal Use' (if you are self employed).

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Apr 13, 2010 4:34 PM BST

I run two vehicles which I have fuel cards for, these can be only used in certain BP's and Shell's otherwise I pay addtional services costs on top of the pump price to use them or if the pump price is cheaper than my fuel cards, I will pay with my credit card and claim the money back.

Other examples, buying oil and service items, bulbs, etc, web maintanence, mobile phone, paying for overnight parking when away from home. These expences are always related to the business.

Posted by Kp on Apr 13, 2010 5:27 PM BST

Hi Tom,

Unfortunately we cannot provide advice as to what you can claim as a business expense on your tax return - you will need to talk to your accountant or tax office.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Apr 13, 2010 5:38 PM BST

Hi KP,

You may find this forum topic on fuel cards useful:
http://www.solaraccounts.co.uk/forum/topic.php?TopicId=409&Posts=1

Regarding the other expenses, record a Money Paid Out transaction with Paid From Account set to either 'Directors Loan Account' (if you are the director of the company) or 'Owners Drawings and Personal Use' (if you are self employed).

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Apr 13, 2010 5:42 PM BST