Forum Message

Feature request

One for consideration in a future release - it would be great if I could generate multiple invoices at once. There are times when I need to invoice many different customers (via PDF) and today I believe I have to generate them one at a time. I started to get a bit bored after the first 30... :-)

And while I think about it, being able to set the default folder for generated PDF invoices would be helpful too.

Still loving the product though!

Posted by Martin Long on Apr 14, 2010 2:56 PM BST

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the feedback - we'll note your suggestion.

If you have many invoices to generate, you may find it quicker to create a CSV file with one line for each invoice, then import into Solar Accounts. See this page for details:
http://www.solaraccounts.co.uk/help/how-to-import-data-from-csv-file.php

Cheers,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Apr 14, 2010 3:07 PM BST

Oh yes, I did that (and worked really well for me). It's the production of the PDFs I was referring to. I have about 60 to send out today and it's now becoming a bit of a chore!

Posted by Martin Long on Apr 14, 2010 3:11 PM BST

Just to add to that...

Yes, that would be a nice feature! It would be good if you could run a batch-send of all invoices.

So for example, email all invoices generated on specific date.

Obviously, to make life easier, Solar would need its own SMTP plugin/add-on to let it just do a while loop through them all.

Not a big issue though - Solar has already saved me loads of time compared to Sage!

Posted by Stuart on Apr 14, 2010 3:54 PM BST

Hi Martin,

Yes I see what you mean now. A few other people have asked for 'batch' invoice operations - I'll record your email to be notified in case we add this in future.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Apr 15, 2010 9:49 AM BST

Hi Stuart,

Yes it is unlikely that we will produce a batch email facility that uses your default email program. However, we may send the emails directly from our server - I'll note this as a separate feature request.

Cheers

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Apr 15, 2010 9:52 AM BST

I'm now using this work-around:
Create a csv file for the customers you want to invoice
(the easiest way is to export invoices first to obtain the correct formatting and then change the names and invoice details to show what you need)
Leave the invoice numbers blank.
use the formula =TODAY() in the date field (it will return the present date in the correct format
Save as Monthly Invoices or something appropriate to you.
Using windows task scheduler create a new task to open the csv file you have created when you want (I run it on the last Friday of the month)
When the file opens for you, check the next Invoice number to be issued and enter that into the first line of your spread sheet.
Drag the Invoice cell downwards to populate all fields with consecutive number.
Save and Import.
Re-open when finished and delete the invoice numbers again - avoids accidental duplication!
Works a treat and saves hours.
Just edit the csv file as and when needed - but don't forget to delete

Posted by Steve Birch on May 10, 2012 1:18 PM BST