Forum Message

P&L Report showing Quarters

Would it be possible to produce an alternative Simple P&L Report showing each of the 4 quarters of the Financial Year (four columns) as an enhancement to the current options which allows the user to chose a given date range but only in one column ?

I have seen this in a number of other accounting packages, and it would really help me in doing trading comparisons. It would save having to run 4 separate reports.

Still loving the Solar. Any chance you could increase the number of files shown under 'Open an Existing File' on the final screen to 4 (from the existing 3). I have requested this before.

Posted by Alan Rick on Jul 30, 2010 1:20 PM BST

Hi Alan,

Glad to hear you like the software!

I believe that Solar Accounts already supports your requirements regarding the Profit and Loss report: Go to the Reports list and select 'Profit and Loss - Multiple Periods'. Then click the 'Configure' button and enter date ranges for each of the four quarters. The report will then have 4 columns - one for each quarter.

I've noted your request to allow 4 recent files when opening a file, but I'm afraid we cannot make promises about future development.

Best regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Jul 30, 2010 2:00 PM BST

Mark - that was EXACTLYwhat I was looking for, thank you

The reason I hadn't previously tried that report is because the description is misleading "Compares the business profit (or loss) between two periods".

In reality, it is not two periods, it can be up to five, and secondly, Solar does not make any comparison, it just reports the numbers as specified in the date range(s). There is an implication that it provides comparisons - i.e Q2 is 110% of Q1

Posted by Alan Rick on Jul 30, 2010 3:13 PM BST

Hi Alan,

Glad to hear that it's what you wanted. I'll note the confusion caused by the description (it USED to be only two periods - this was later changed to 5 but the description was not updated).

Cheers,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Jul 30, 2010 3:43 PM BST