Forum Message

vat reports

I notice your vat report system doesn't report any new entry in the latest vat period report that has a previous vat period date,.that might happen if entering an invoice that was missed during the previous vat period.

Without keeping in mind the vat period ends when entering invoice dates, I believe this would mean such an entry could potentially cause errors in the vat accounting? So I suppose the only way to deal with this is to regularly check all previous vat reports for such a situation. Am I right or is there a better way?

Might it possibly be an idea to draw a users attention to such a potential problem when entering dates that come within a previous vat period?

Dave

Posted by Dave Thomas on Oct 8, 2010 7:54 PM BST

Hi Dave,

Yes it's correct that if you make changes to a previous VAT period then these changes will not be picked up when Solar Accounts produces your next VAT return. You can check for errors by periodically comparing the figures submitted to HMRC to the VAT Return Detail report - unfortunately there is not a simpler way to do this check.

One way to reduce the chance of error when filling in your quarterly VAT return is to produce figures for a 6-month period, then subtract the figures from your previous return. See this page for details:
http://www.solaraccounts.co.uk/forum/topic.php?TopicId=413&Posts=1

I will record your suggestion about having a VAT warning message as a feature request in our system.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Oct 9, 2010 11:28 AM BST