Forum Message

Solar Accounts on Linux

I am looking for a small business accounting package, but use Ubuntu (Linux) rather than Windows. Many Windows programs work well on Ubuntu thanks to a piece of "adaptor" software called Wine.
I wonder if anyone has any experience of using Solar Accounts under Wine and can tell me whether or not it a viable option for me to consider.

Thanks in anticipation.

Posted by James Brice on Dec 2, 2010 7:53 PM GMT

Hi James,

I tried it with Ubuntu 10.04 and Wine 1.3, but unfortunately the Solar Accounts installation executable does not extract all the necessary files when running under Wine. So I don't think this approach is viable - you will need to install Windows instead.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Dec 13, 2010 2:45 PM GMT

Just confirming that it doesn't work as of June 2011. I've just tried with Linux Mint (v9 -Ubuntu based)) with both Wine and Crossover. Neither work sadly.

Posted by Sue Phillips on Jun 25, 2011 2:18 PM BST

I've just tried 3.9.7 with Ubuntu 14.10 and wine (as I currently have to use my
wife's m/c to run it on Windows).
After playing about a bit I was able to get it installed & running up, unfortunately I can't see the internals of the main screen. But I can add a new invoice, change the financial year & register my purchase. So it's not usable yet, but maybe it's not too far off.
I trust it's OK to play about like this?

Posted by Daniel Jowett on Dec 9, 2014 12:35 PM GMT

Hi Daniel,

I'm afraid Ubuntu with Wine is not a supported platform so we cannot say whether Solar Accounts will behave correctly - sorry.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Dec 10, 2014 12:25 PM GMT

Hi Daniel,

The SwtHackUtils class contains code which is platform-specific - for example, a method to return the location of the user's Documents folder on that platform. I would guess you can implement a similar class for Linux - look at what the Windows version does and modify it for Linux (this class is not obfuscated in the online version). I don't think platform dependencies are too widespread - they are mostly encapsulated within this class.

To answer your other question: Yes, the online version will be the 'main' product we offer in future. I understand your concern about having your data stored in the cloud, but our system is far more secure than other systems because your data is fully encrypted when it is stored online. That is, even an attacker who gains complete control of our online servers will still be unable to access your data (except for emails you send while the server is compromised).

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Nov 16, 2015 12:05 PM GMT