Forum Message

Including Billable Expenses on Sales Invoices?

Is there any mechanism for recording expenses on purchase invoices so that they are associated with a particular customer, and at a later point automatically (or at least easily) included on a sales invoice for that customer?

Posted by James Brice on Dec 4, 2010 8:45 AM GMT

Hi James,

Sorry no, Solar Accounts cannot automatically associate expenses with a particular customer. The closest thing is to add 'Cust: John Smith' to the Journal Memo field of the expense. You can then filter the Transactions list to only show transactions that include this text in the memo field.

In future we may add support for 'Jobs' which would allow you to group income and expenses by job. I'll record your email address to be notified in case we add this feature in future.

Regards,

Posted by James Brice on Dec 5, 2010 3:34 PM GMT

Thanks for that tip Mark - that will meet my needs for now.

Posted by James Brice on Dec 5, 2010 4:55 PM GMT

Yes, I've just realised the the software won't include expenses on the invoice submitted. A final invoice to the customer ( in my case ) will have the fee for services ( income ) and car hire, airfare, hotel, food & drink ( expenses ). I have been correctly allocating fees to the 'Income account' whilst incorrectly allocating the associated expenses to 'Expense accounts' thinking that the software would differentiate between the two on receipt of payment. It seems I'm wrong :-(

Each individual expense is correctly referenced as 'Money paid out' and reconciled against the bank statement so I guess those expenses for any 'Job' must be allocated to the 'Income account' on the invoice. I presume that the fact that these transactions are expenses and NOT income is reconciled by the equivalent individual records as 'Money paid out' ?

PS. Fantastic software :-) . . . still a lot to learn though !

Posted by Paul Whittington on Jan 20, 2011 8:36 PM GMT

Hi James,

We've just released a new version of Solar Accounts which allows you to associate each transaction with a particular job or department (by clicking the Options button in the bottom-left of the transaction window). There's also a new 'Profit and Loss By Job/Department' report which shows the income and expenses for each job or department.

You can upgrade Solar Accounts here:
http://www.solaraccounts.co.uk/download.php?flag=UPGRADE

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Dec 1, 2011 12:09 PM GMT