Forum Message

Staff expenses

I am currently trialing Solar (very impressed so far). How should I record staff expenses, for example I need to make a payment to a member of staff for an expenses claim which include car travel, hotel bills, and office consumables such as paper. Do I treat the member of staff as a supplier and make a matching invoice to his expenses claim so that I can allocate each item to the correct account?

Thanks

Graham

Posted by Graham Pitman on Jan 4, 2011 1:35 PM GMT

Hi Graham,

Yes, treat the staff member as a supplier. You don't need to create an invoice - just create a Money Paid Out transaction with the Type field set to 'General Transaction'. In the 'Allocate to Account' table you can have many lines - one for each expense type.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Jan 4, 2011 1:46 PM GMT

This works OK, but it does not allow one to record enough detail regarding each line of expense. This makes it difficult to manage expenses. For example notes on a travel claim that will subsequently be passed on to a customer.

It would be ideal to be able to create an expense record that is similar to a supplier invoice. Perhaps when you are next doing an update you could consider the possibility of creating an expense record like this. Then if staff are provided with an excel template to use for their expenses these can readily be imported.

Posted by Graham Pitman on Jan 18, 2011 5:38 PM GMT

Hi Graham,

Thanks for your feedback - I'll note your suggestion about having a description for each line in the Money Paid Out window as an option for future development.

Cheers,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Jan 19, 2011 9:03 AM GMT

I agree with the need for this

Posted by Debbie Murray on Sep 6, 2012 9:43 AM BST