Forum Message

Payment on Accounts

How do i record a payment on account, either to a customer or a supplier. i.e. if I receive £200 from a customer their account balance should be a credit of £200, (the program seems to automatically raise an invoice for that £200 and the account balance remains £0.00) I would then like to allocate the credit against an invoice that I may raise at a later date.

Posted by Andrew Knapman on May 18, 2011 5:10 PM BST

Hi Andrew,

If your customer pays on account, create a Credit Note with the Account set to 'Cheque Account' and the VAT Treatment set to 'Out of Scope'. Later, you can allocate this credit to an invoice as described here:
http://www.solaraccounts.co.uk/help/how-to-allocate-a-credit-note.php

Use a similar approach for supplier payments on account by creating a Purchase Credit Note.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on May 18, 2011 5:16 PM BST

I have previously reported this 'inconsistency' and I am forced to use the Credit Note approach which I find most inconvenient. It would be great if the Solar guys could allow prepayments without generating an invoice.

Posted by Alan Rick on May 19, 2011 3:33 PM BST

But this is no good as the payment does not show on the bank req screen?

Posted by Andrew Aird on Jul 27, 2013 1:29 PM BST

Hi Andrew,

The advice about creating a credit note to record a payment on account is out of date.

The simplest way to record a payment on account is to create a Money Received transaction with the Type field set to 'Advance Payment'. If your customer pays directly into your bank account then set the Deposit Into Account field to 'Cheque Account' - the payment will then appear in the bank reconciliation list.

Regards

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Jul 29, 2013 9:11 AM BST

How to record a supplier on account payment

Thanks

Posted by Colleen Hewes on Jan 31, 2018 7:59 PM GMT

Hi Colleen,

To record a payment on account to your supplier, create a Money Paid Out transaction with the Type set to 'Advance Payment'. Later, when you create a purchase invoice for that supplier Solar Accounts will ask if you want to allocate the advance payment to that invoice - click 'Yes'.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Jan 31, 2018 8:20 PM GMT