Forum Message

Reimbursing Employees for Purchases

Here is another question...... I am busy loading up expenses which have been paid for by Cheque, Direct Debit and Credit Card - all going OK.

My query is if one of the employees or Director pays Cash for an item, how do I record that as a re-imbursable expense. They don't have a Petty Cash float, we re-imburse them at the end of the month (or some point in time later.... the point being that the employee has laid out the cash).

Posted by Alan Rick on Dec 30, 2009 8:36 PM GMT

Hi Alan,

You can think of it like this: when the employee makes a purchase for the business, they are 'lending' the business money. When you re-imburse the employee you are repaying that loan.

Therefore, you should create a new liability account called 'Expenses to be Reimbursed'. When the employee makes the purchase, enter a normal expense with From Account set to the liability account. When you pay the employee, record a new General Transaction from the Cheque Account to the liability account. Notice that this liability account is acting in much the same way as a credit card account.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Dec 31, 2009 10:41 AM GMT

Mark

Presumably, if the person concerned is a Director (the owner), I can pass these transactions through the Directors Loan Account rather than an ‘Expenses to be Re-imbursed’ account?

On a different matter...... I am running Solar on Vista Business edition. When I call up a new transaction screen (eg Money Paid Out), it pops up but I have to re-size it to enlarge it as I cannot see all the fields. Is this a ‘bug’ and are you looking to fix it. It is very annoying to have to keep re-sizing the pop-up window.

Also, having completed a transaction, say Money Paid Out, is there any way of getting that screen back, or at least an option, for another similar transaction without having to go to ‘New’ and selecting Money Paid Out or pressing Alt + O ?

I appreciate all of your help and am becoming very fond of the product, but there are some strange little quirks....

Another one is...... if you format a report and increase column widths, there seems to be no way to save the revised format. If you ‘Refresh’ the report, it returns to its original column widths. Any tips on this ?

Best wishes and a Happy New Year.

Posted by Alan Rick on Dec 31, 2009 10:54 AM GMT

Hello Alan,

Yes, you can use the Director's Loan Account instead.

We certainly test Solar Accounts in Windows Vista. I have just tried it on my computer and the Money Paid Out windows looks like this:
http://www.solaraccounts.co.uk/help/how-to-record-an-expense.php
Perhaps you are using a different font - we'll look into the problem.

There is no way to keep the Money Paid Out window open - you have to press Ctrl-O each time. (For invoices you can click the button in the bottom-left corner).

There's no workaround for your problem with the report column widths - we'll try to improve this in a future version of Solar Accounts.

Thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback. We're always looking for ways to improving our product, and that includes getting rid of the 'quirks'.

Cheers,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Dec 31, 2009 4:55 PM GMT

The latest version of Solar Accounts now has much better support for large-font systems. You can upgrade to this version for free here:
http://www.solaraccounts.co.uk/download.php

We also now keep the report column widths when a report is refreshed.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Jan 11, 2009 1:14 PM GMT