Forum Message

Overpayment of Purchase Invoice

I have paid my web provider twice for the same bill, I paid manually and they took it automatically from PayPal.
As I will be paying other Invoices from them throughout the year I am not requesting the money back, I wish my account though, to show credit to remind me.
How do I record this?
Thanks
David

Posted by David Darlison on Sep 25, 2012 10:04 AM BST

Hi David,

Create two purchase invoice payments allocated to the same purchase invoice. The invoice will then be marked as 'overpaid' and will behave exactly like a purchase credit note. Later, you can allocate the credit to another purchase invoice as described here:
http://www.solaraccounts.co.uk/help/how-to-allocate-a-purchase-credit-note.php

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Sep 25, 2012 12:05 PM BST

Hi could you please clarify how to make an overpayment to the same purchase invoice as this does not seem to be an option? Many thanks

Posted by Amanda Aitken on Jul 11, 2014 12:00 PM BST

Hi Amanda,

Just enter a payment amount that is greater than the total of the Purchase Invoice.

The error you are seeing probably says that the Amount Paid field must match the Amount Applied field - if you get this error just type into the Amount Applied field to change it.

An overpaid Purchase Invoice acts exactly like a Purchase Credit Note. You can right-click on it to allocate the credit to another purchase.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Jul 11, 2014 12:37 PM BST

I couldn't get this to work either. You cannot adjust the 'amount applied', so I entered it as an advance payment to the supplier for a subsequent invoice. That's fine if you have another invoice in the same month, but if you don't, it would be great to have some clarification on how you enter it into Solar. Overpaying an invoice doesn't seem to work.

Posted by Liz Pannell on Aug 25, 2015 9:39 AM BST

Hi Liz,

You should be able to adjust the 'amount applied' field simply by clicking on it. (I suspect you were trying to adjust the 'total amount applied' field).

Please see the attached picture for where to click. If you still have problems please let me know the error message you see.

Regards

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Aug 25, 2015 9:57 AM BST

A ha! Thanks Mark for your quick reply. I was indeed looking at and trying to change the 'Total Amount Applied' field....

Posted by Liz Pannell on Aug 25, 2015 12:23 PM BST