Forum Message

Export customer data.

I had hoped to regularly export the customer data file and import/ append new entries to my Paradox data base for further processing. After some rather strange results I find that the Solar accounts export program appears to create a new list of account numbers for each export which makes the data unuseable for my purposes. Is this what happens? If so it is a great pity as I've been impressed with the simplicity of this package, but the database is integral to my business requirements.

Posted by Dougal Thompson on Aug 25, 2009 6:57 PM BST

Hi Dougal,

Solar Accounts does not export any account numbers when you export your customer list to a CSV file. You can see what is exported by opening the CSV file in Microsoft Excel or other spreadsheet program. Most likely you will need to modify the file before being imported into your database. For example, try deleting all columns except for the customer name and seeing if the resulting file can then be imported into your database successfully.

Also check that you are using at least version 2.4 as older versions exported data differently (click menu Help > About Solar Accounts to see the version number).

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Aug 26, 2009 8:07 AM BST

Hi, Thanks for the reply.

The CSV file first column certainly appears to be an account number. For example if the customer name, which appears in the second column, is "Mike Jones", the first column contains "MIKE01".
I have no problem importing the CSV delimeted text file , the problem is that I do rely on the first column to be the unique value for the database table. That way I can append on import only a newly added customer.
If using the above example I were to add a Solar accounts customer Mike Campbell, then the first column changes so that "MIKE01" is now Mike Campbell and "MIKE02" is Mike Jones and the unique value has changed. Import appears to to create a set of account numbers alongside the alphabetical customer list.

Posted by Dougal Thompson on Aug 27, 2009 8:47 AM BST

OK, so now I have upgraded and indeed for export to a comma-separated .CSV file the first column now just states "Customer" for each row, however if exported in Sage format the first column is an account number. So my question is, does the account number in this column in the upgraded verfsion remain unique to the customer or does it still change according to alphabetical addition of new customers on the next instance of export? Clearly a unique customer reference is required if the export function is to be useful for anything other than a one off procedure.

Posted by Dougal Thompson on Aug 27, 2009 11:14 AM BST

Hi Dougal,

Sorry I hadn't considered the Sage CSV format. As you have pointed out, the ID field in the Sage export file may not be consistent between exports and therefore is only useful for a one-off import. We'll add a feature request to be able to export a unique ID which remains consistent each time you export the data.

Can you simply use the customer name as the unique ID? If not, another option would be to record an ID in the Notes field for each customer and supplier and use it as the unique id when importing into your database.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Aug 27, 2009 1:02 PM BST

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply and suggestions to my export data problem.
Unfortunately the name field couldn't be regarded as reliably unique, and although my database would work quite happily with a unique value in the customer notes field, this would rely on never making a mistake with the value and regretably mistakes happen, so unless enforced by the software a unique value couldn't be guaranteed.
I decided with much regret that I would have to move to an accounts package which allowed the export information I required. Not so easy! I have lost count of the number of packages I have evaluated and, as you are probably aware, none come close to the simplicity of use and excellent functionality of Solar accounts. I used a much bigger package in a previous business - always a chore. Solar accounts is as much a pleasure as book keeping can be!
A workaround seems to be to start each customer name with a number. At least on entering a new customer on the invoice form, the last customer can be scrolled to which will show the last number used, a new customer can then be entered using the next number. Hopefully the chances of error are reduced. The search for customer name still finds a customer. The downside is that the customer name on documents will be preceded by a number!
So the upshot is that I'll be sticking with Solar Accounts and hopefully a consistent and unique account number can be incorporate in one of the export options in a future update. Meanwhile thank you for an excellent package and I'll await in hope.
Regards, Dougal.

Posted by Dougal Thompson on Sep 6, 2009 11:59 AM BST

Hi Dougal,

Thanks for your feedback - I can see the difficulty you are having. We'll try to add this feature to a future version of Solar Accounts.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Sep 7, 2009 4:52 PM BST

Hi Dougal,

Solar Accounts now includes an 'Export Row ID' when exporting customers and suppliers. This ID will remain constant even if you change the customer/supplier name. You can upgrade to the latest version here:
http://www.solaraccounts.co.uk/download.php

Cheers,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Sep 14, 2009 10:25 AM BST

Hi Mark,

I've downloaded v2.5, but can't find 'Export Row ID' option.
Where should I be looking?

Regards, Dougal.

Posted by Dougal Thompson on Sep 14, 2009 11:48 AM BST

Hi Dougal,

Just click menu File > Export To > Comma-Separated CSV File. Select only the 'Customers' type and click 'Export'. The resulting CSV file includes an Export Row ID.

Cheers,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Sep 14, 2009 12:54 PM BST

Lovely to see this dialogue - constructive cooperation in action!

Posted by Andy Taylor on Sep 17, 2009 9:19 PM BST

Hi Mark,

All working smoothly now!
Thanks for all your help on this one.

Regards, Dougal.

Posted by Dougal Thompson on Sep 17, 2009 9:34 PM BST

Glad to hear that!

Cheers,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Sep 18, 2009 10:55 AM BST

I'm new to Soolar Accounts (and a qualified accounting technician). I'm delighted with this software on the whole.

I don't work in accounting any more, and my business has a lot of customers who may receive receive only 1, never more than 4, invoices each, but clearly, I'll have a lot of customers.

I would really appreciate being able to use account numbers to avoid any confusion between customers with similar names - these would also be useful for payments received by bank transfer.

Is there anyway to include an option to open up this unique ID field?

Posted by Colin H Tomlinson on Sep 20, 2009 6:12 AM BST

Hi Colin,

Thanks for your feedback - we're glad you like the software.

Unfortunately Solar Accounts doesn't support 'account numbers' for customers - one work-around is to prefix the customer name with a number.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Sep 21, 2009 3:09 PM BST

Hi Mark

Sadly it doesn't quite work, since any reference to the customer will begin with the account number - and thereby make any searching by name almost impossible - but also it will allow duplicate numbers since, to Solar Accounts 00011 Fred Smith and 00011 John Jones are not the same.

I also have the issue that it's highly likely at some stage I'll have duplicate names.

Wondering how to resolve this.

Posted by Colin H Tomlinson on Sep 21, 2009 4:00 PM BST

Hi Colin,

Yes, if you add a number to the customer name you will need to be careful to ensure it's a unique number. We will consider adding an 'account number' to the customer/supplier window in future.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Sep 22, 2009 8:47 AM BST

I am currently trialling solar accounts. One problem I have encountered is the same as earlier comments, the customer name is used to uniquely identify a customer. I have many Mrs Smith, Jones etc as customers and adding a suffix would make invoices look strange. Has this been addressed, or is it imminent? Many thanks

Posted by Nigel Dearle on Mar 18, 2011 8:44 AM GMT

Hi Nigel,

No, we have not addressed this problem, and unfortunately we cannot make promises about future development.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Mar 18, 2011 9:16 AM GMT