Forum Message

Year-End Journals

Is there a facility to post year-end journals within Solar Accounts? I am thinking of purchasing Solar Accounts for my book-keeping business, but would need to be able to process year-end adjustments which would be supplied to me by my clients' accountants.

Posted by Debora Moody on May 21, 2010 12:05 PM BST

Hi Deborah,

Yes, you can post end of year journals as General Transactions - for example, see this page on recording depreciation:
http://www.solaraccounts.co.uk/help/how-to-record-depreciation-of-an-asset.php

Once you have entered all your transactions for the financial year, click menu Setup > Financial Year > Start a new financial year. This will transfer the balance of the income and expense accounts to the Retained Earnings account.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on May 21, 2010 1:39 PM BST

Hi, I also have some journal entries for opening balances for the year end, my accountant has given me a list of Debit / Credits for adjustments to the accounts,

e.g. Plant and Machinery Credit £29
Fixtures and Fittings Debit £563 Credit £84

How do I process this? If I use the general transaction it asks me for from account and to account and the value has to be positive?

Posted by Pete Jenkins on Jan 13, 2013 10:58 AM GMT

Hi Pete,

Create a new General Transaction and tick the 'Multiple Accounts' box. Then enter the accounts to be credited in the From Account table and the accounts to be debited in the To Account table. I think the date of the transaction should be the last day of your financial year, but please check this with your accountant.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Jan 13, 2013 11:04 AM GMT