Forum Message

NI as drawings?

Hi there,

I'm a bit confused as to how to log NI contributions (I'm a sole trader, so no employees). I've always thought that NI contributions are not really a business expense, but a personal expense, so should the relevant amount be taken out of the business account as a drawing, put into a personal account and paid from there? If I pay NI from my business bank account how is that then treated in terms of tax? Or is it deductable as a business expense?

Thanks in advance,

Adam

Posted by Adam Robertson on Sep 9, 2009 9:03 AM BST

Hi Adam,

As far as HM Revenue and Customs is concerned, national insurance and income tax are not business expenses, so strictly speaking these payments are a personal drawing from the business. To record it this way in Solar Accounts you would allocate these payments to the 'Owner's Drawings and Personal Use Account'.

However, many self-emplyed people like to see their 'after-tax' profit, so they allocate payments to the Tax Expense account. In this case the the Tax Expense should be excluded from the profit calculation when preparing the annual self-assessment return.

Perhaps this treatment is just too confusing, and we should say that tax and NI payments made by a self-employed individual be treated as a personal drawing? We will look into this problem further.

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Sep 9, 2009 9:31 AM BST

Hi Mark,

Thanks (as ever!) for your prompt reply. In terms of Solar Accounts, I guess that if a company has employees, NI could be accounted for as a business expense (as per your FAQs) - I think for me (no employees) I may just take it out as a drawing (or simply pay it from a personal account). If you look into this and get a more definitive answer, let me know!

Thanks again,

Adam

Posted by Adam Robertson on Sep 9, 2009 10:24 AM BST

Hi Adam,

After more investigation we've changed our help topics to match the legal status of income tax and NI contributions - we now recommend that self-employed people treat their tax and NI paymentsas a personal expense.

If you pay your personal tax and NI from a business account, record it as a non-business payment (ie. drawings from the business) as described here:
http://www.solaraccounts.co.uk/help/how-to-record-non-business-payments.php

For PAYE and NI payments made by employees, see this help topic:
http://www.solaraccounts.co.uk/help/how-to-record-paye-and-ni-contributions.php

Regards,

Posted by Mark McLaren (Solar Accounts) on Sep 16, 2009 11:14 AM BST